A record breaking Black Friday Cyber Monday for Shopify

Trending topics

3 mins

Alexandrina Filipova
November 28, 2023
A record breaking Black Friday Cyber Monday for Shopify

Shopify Celebrates Record Sales on Black Friday Cyber Monday Weekend

Hey Shopify fellas! Black Friday Cyber Monday has come and gone, and guess what? We've survived the shopping storm for another year! Now, it's time to crunch the numbers, dissect the wins, and cook up a plan for an even more epic performance next year. Let's dive into the post-BFCM analysis!

Shopify during BFCM

Shopify merchants totally rocked Black Friday, pulling in a massive $9.3 billion in sales! It was like a global shopping party—from sunrise in New Zealand to sunset in California, they scored a 24% jump in sales from last year. The shopping wave hit its peak at 12:01 p.m. EST on Friday, with a crazy $4.2 million in sales every single minute.

"Another epic, record-breaking Black Friday in the books for Shopify merchants"
- Harley Finkelstein, President of Shopify

Black Friday highlights from Shopify merchants
  • Shopify merchants achieved an impressive $9.3 billion in sales during the Black Friday Cyber Monday weekend, marking a remarkable 24% increase from the $7.5 billion recorded in 2022.
  • Shopify engaged with a global audience of 61 million consumers throughout the holiday weekend.
  • Over 17.5k entrepreneurs celebrated their inaugural sale on Shopify this weekend.
  • More than 55k merchants experienced their all-time highest-selling day.
  • Shopaholics worldwide unleashed their spending spree, with each consumer dishing out an average of $108.12 per order over the weekend.
  • The shopping fever was most contagious in the U.S., U.K., Australia, Canada, and Germany. - these countries took the lead in racking up the sales.
  • In the race for the shopping capital, Los Angeles, New York, and London emerged victorious as the top-selling cities.
  • Global friendships flourished, with 15% of total orders crossing borders.
  • The magic wasn't just online—brick-and-mortar stores using Shopify POS experienced a whopping 60% YoY increase in global sales. Talk about the best of both worlds!
  • Mobile shopping dominated with a staggering 74%, leaving desktop at just 26%.
  • Top product categories this year are apparel and accessories, health and beauty, and home and garden.
  • 56,000+ tones of carbon removal funded by Shopify to counteract shipping emissions.

Kudos to Shopify for the dynamic globe display! It not only highlighted the vast scale and success of countless Shopify-powered businesses over Black Friday weekend but also enabled the creation of vibrant visualizations, such as fireworks celebrating every merchant's first sale.

BFCM Shopify globe
Consentmo during BFCM

Navigating the surge of customers across diverse Shopify stores during the BFCM rush, our mission was to ensure they sailed through this madness while staying compliant. If we may say so ourselves, we think we aced it this year.

  • During regular operation, we typically handle around 100k connections simultaneously, but during the BFCM period, it soared to over 270k—an incredible 200% increase in connected visitors. Remarkably, we managed to support all these connections without any problem, showcasing the perfect scaling of the app and how well we are prepared. Our robust infrastructure stood tall, ensuring a seamless experience for our users. Kudos to the team and our resilient system!
  • Daily visits skyrocketed, surpassing 140 million!
  • Numerous stores seized the opportunity during our Black Friday promotion, opting to upgrade to discounted Plus and Enterprise plans.

And a heartfelt thank you to all the merchants for trusting us with their compliance needs.

Here's to another epic Black Friday Cyber Monday, to more growth, more challenges, and more successes. Until next year, keep thriving, keep growing, and keep rocking the eCommerce world!

If you liked this article, spread the word